Thursday, April 9, 2009

MY FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL

I was 4 years old when my mother realized that I should be sent to school. She took me to the best primary school near our house which was around 2 kms from the place we live. Yellow building, grey gate with Arya Model School written in black bold letters. I was interviewed by the principal. She asked me to recite poems my mother had taught me all this while. She asked me the color of my dress and I happily told her the color of my favorite frock I was wearing. I got admitted to the school. Since the session had already started, I had to attend the school from very next day.

At 7 o clock in the morning my mother woke me up. Since my mother didn’t have enough time to buy my uniform and books, she made me wear a pink dress. My cousin, who was a year elder to me was studying in the same school so she packed my school bag with his last year’s books. At 7 30, she realized I had to board my school bus at 7 .45. She woke my father, asking him to drop me to the end of road where school bus would pick me up. My father, who had a habit of having bed tea to wake, was half asleep. When we reached at the bus stop of my school bus, we came to know that bus comes at 8.00 a.m. we were standing there, waiting for the bus to come. My father was getting irritated as he had a swelling stomach and wanted to visit the loo. To his rescue, my uncle, who is a villager, was coming from the other side of the road to visit us. My father exchanged greetings and asked if he would mind helping me in boarding the school bus. My uncle agreed. By that time there were 8-9 kids have gathered. A school bus came and my uncle helped me board the bus along with other 5 children. He waved me and I sat on a seat next to the conductor.

I reached the school. I prayed along with other students in the assembly ground. Then one of the teachers sent me to the nursery class, where I sat on the third desk in first row from the class room gate. Day passed by and it was time to go home. I along with other students boarded the school bus..The driver didn’t know who I am and whats my address. So he dropped me at the last bus stop along with other kids. By now, my mother really worried about my whereabouts. She made a call to my school and to their utter shock, school authorities told them that I didn’t come to the school. She ran to my father’s office.

Now I was in strange area. I was a strong girl so I didn’t cry. I was searching for my house. Till now my mother had dictated my address to me 100 times and I remembered it very well. When I was walking in the streets searching for my house, by passers realized that I have lost my way. One of the ladies asked my name and where I stay. I told her my name is Parul and I stay at 2/252, adarsh Nagar. Since I was too young to be believed, she opened my bag to see if there is any proof of my residence. To her shock, name written on my books was of my cousin, Siddharth. She discarded the information I gave her about my residence and looked with a pity at me saying, ‘Dear Siddharth, I don’t know where you stay but if some one else asks you about your name, tell them your right name. OK?’ With this remark she took me to near by house and asked if they know this girl Siddharth. I immediately shout back that I am not Siddharth, I am Parul but nobody believed me as my books were not supporting what I was saying. I was passed from one house to another, checking if someone knows me by any chance. After an hour of passing the parcel, I reached a barber shop who apparently knew the Principal of the School, whose name was written on the books. That was the only thing written about me on the books was correct. He took me to the principal’s house. She recognized me immediately. By that time it was already 4 o clock.. She called up at the school to find out that my parents were searching me and had come to the school to find my whereabouts. She told my parents that I am safe and she would be bringing me back to the school. At 5 o clock I met my parents who were eagerly waiting for their only child. I dictated the whole day’s event to my mother and that’s when my mother frowned at my father for being so careless.

This adventurous day of my first day at school was dictated nth time in front of all our relatives, telling them how brave I had been even at the age of 4 and how careless my father can be that he asked his brother to send me with the first bus that comes to pick the children to school instead of telling him the name of the school.

14 comments:

Rahul Pahwa said...

HAHAHHA..interesting..eventful beginning of your education...

namitoj said...

good post!! I enjoyed reading it thoroughly...more so to know why the fiasco happened... you have got a nice start to a very scalable idea... keep it afloat... keep adding and keep blogging....

Love

Dinyar said...

This can be made into a short Series on TV or if further info added a movie as well....copyright it quickly :)

Unknown said...

Quite a eventful first day! n u know it soooooooooooo well!! cute incident!! would love to see more n know u more (apart from stuff we discussed Jammu To Amritsar) :P

Kew@L said...

BOLD as alwyz u have been PARUL..

wht a gr8 start of schooling...

njoyed reading it...

now let the author kindle some more light on events ahead.. :)

sh@hnawaz said...

well written.

varun Nambiar said...

A very simple n effective writin...Its a gotta Novel touch to it which makes it an interestin read.. :) way to go PC...

kanupriya said...

e1 though i've grown up listenin to this story instead of those conventional fairy tales, i still enjoyed it readin here...

NG said...

Nice.. brave girl I must say.. cant wait to hear what your first day at high school was like.. keep blogging.. :)

Delectable.Disposition said...

howcome u remember all those things?

Unknown said...

So roaming about here and there started bachpan se hee under guidance of your parents... Siddarth part of the incident was something :)

Your start with this post is right into the Bloghole.

asiffreenow said...

Nice beginning to your career, however, it was not so for me. On the interview day I wanted to take see-saw ride and obviously my parents objected to it. Hence I tore my clothes, soiled them with mud, cried like the world was going to end and then gave the interview. Don't know still why i was selected.....

Parul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
varun said...

interesting than my first day at school...brave lil girl!